Friday, January 20, 2012

What a Great Date

   Why hello there, readers!
I am here in South Africa, and even better, I am finally posting in my blog! I have realized (a bit too late) that blogging is really not one of my gifts or special abilities. Anyways, I suppose I'll just catch everyone up with the goings on as of late.
    After staying up all night packing, I mean... rechecking my packing list! I left for the Sacramento airport on Tuesday morning at 3:30 a.m. There I met up with Jo and Allie and said our final goodbyes as we headed off to our first flight to Salt Lake City. Ok, bada bing bada boom 30 minute layover until our flight to Atlanta (Still no sleep!) and then from Atlanta we boarded our final flight to Jo-burg, South Africa. The flight was thankfully only 15 hours and we were at least all able to sit by each other for the long flight. No babies were crying, only one man was loudly snoring, and the movie selection was great (or so I heard). We arrived at the airport at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday and proceeded to go through customs and grab our overstuffed duffel bags and head to the train. Ok, I would just like to give you this great vision of three girls  (That's Jo, Allie and myself) each dragging two rolley duffel bags, a backpack, and a smaller "carry on" duffel. It was a great way to meet new friends and it gave us a workout fit for Jillian.
     Anyways, besides all that we made it to South Africa and Jo's friend, Sam picked us up in Hatfield and took us to her house in Pretoria. Sam has the best family made up of her husband, Luther and her three kids, Ben, Tristen, and Meghan. We have spent the last few days here hanging out with the family and visiting all of Jo's friends that live here (Jo lived in South Africa for 3.5 years playing soccer and doing Missionary work). So far Allie and I have drank some delicious cappuccino, played soccer with the South African soccer team, The Tucks, visited Jo's old church, 3ci, and been asked out on a date by Ben, the four year old of the family. Ben told us, "Maybe tomorrow I can take you two out on a date and open the door for you and such." I think this is going to be the best kind of trip.
    Can't wait until we leave for Mozambique next Tuesday! I'll be updating before then... yes!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice update. Miss you. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ally, I'm a friend of your Mom's and have you on my prayer list.
    Blessings on you as you travel and do so many wonderful things for the people of Africa.
    My heart is tender towards Africa. Hubby and I did a mission trip to Kenya 2 years ago and our son was with YWAM and lived in Tanzania for a year as a missionary in Primary Health Care.
    Glad you are doing a blog and look forward to the next installment.
    Sue Batz ( my photoblog is under the name photowannabe)

    ReplyDelete